A Little Bit About Church of the Good Shepherd...
In the year 1951 the Bishop of Connecticut, The Right Rev’d Walter H. Gray wanted the Episcopal Church to expand into more communities of Connecticut. The Diocesan Missioner, the Rev’d Donald Greene, knew of several families in Orange - principally Mr. & Mrs. Curtis Henry Thompson - and called them together at 215 Old Tavern Road, the Thompson home, and The Church of the Good Shepherd began.
Refitting the defunct Chapel of the Good Shepherd on Spring Street in the Tyler City section of Orange, a small congregation was assembled. In 1953, the first Rector was called: The Rev’d Adolph Johnson. The congregation grew rapidly and, in 1956 20 acres of land was purchased from Dorothy Pryde and in 1957 the cornerstone was laid. On Palm Sunday 1958, the new building was dedicated. In 1972 Rev. Johnson retired and on Palm Sunday 1974, the Rev’d Robert Edwin Deming began his rectorship. In 1975, construction was begun on an addition, the Sanctuary was refurbished, the Altar Rail was extended the full width of the church, the balcony was completed, and prepared for the Casavant Pipe Organ that was installed in 1984. In 2001, the parish celebrated its 50th anniversary. On February 1, 2011, the Rev. Ann Ritonia began her tenure as the Third Rector of Church of the Good Shepherd. Worship that nourishes and sustains our gathered community remains a cornerstone and we continue to welcome all in the name of Jesus Christ!
The Rev. Diana Rogers came to Church of the Good Shepherd as Priest in Charge in August of 2015.
Senior Wardens: Marilee Silva and Jennifer D'Inzeo
Junior Warden: Frank Ficaro
Treasurer: Sarah Greifenberger
Parish Clerk: Joe Scaglia
Vestry Members: Marvin Collins, Renee Perroncel and Tim Wilkins